4.08.2009

Autism Care Walk

First and foremost, a very special thank you, again, to all of you who were so kindly thoughtful and generously giving to help support Dominic. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.


The kids and I got up early Saturday morning, put on our snazzy CareWalk shirts, and out the door we went! We picked up Papa (and I switched over to the passenger seat), and we met Nana, Steph, Dom, and Grady at McD's for breakfast.

Then we arrived. The place was packed. There were hilarious kids--everywhere; jumping, hopping, skipping, swerving, screaming, shouting, twirling, arm-flapping, rolling, you name it--they were doing it all. And that's why we were there. So many tendencies, so little education.

There were 3 moonwalks--all 3 completely full with kids bouncing off the sides. There was popcorn and cotton candy--and of course, our family was right in the middle of it! There were balloons and animals. All for one cause that so many people know so little about: autism.

The 1.5 mile walk was fabulous...and interesting, to say the least. Some kids were tired and ready to quit before we even started. Others were disgusted at the slow-pace and verbalized for everyone to, "MOVE IT, PEOPLE!" lol

Dominic was a trooper the entire time we were there. He did a fantastic job. He chose to ride in the stroller and hold Papa's hand...what better way to take a stroll on such a beautiful day?!

After we made it to the finish line, Stephanie, Dominic, Dad, and I went inside the conference center and gathered some information that we thought would be useful and helpful for Dom. Dad bought a book for Stephanie, and she has already read the entire book--so has Mom & Dad, and I'm in the process.

So, yes, it was a tremendous success, and again, we thank all of you for being so supportive, generous, and understanding! I think the main thing we achieved that day was just seeing that we are not alone...there were hundreds of kids just like Dom, some not so bad, and others significantly worse.

For those of you waiting for your "special something," keep waiting...lol...I'm currently working on it.

In the mean time, here are a few pics from the CareWalk.

Big Love,
Sarah

GROUP PICTURE!
Back Row: Anita, Rex, Sarah, Lita, Lou, Amy, Elizabeth, Cameron
Front Row: Grady, Gabriel, Maya, Dominic, Steph, Grandma Luna

I absolutely LOVE this pic of Dom smelling his mama's hair...one of his very, own, unique, special ways that he displays his affection and love. I'm sure he sensed that it was a very special day for him!!

The Dingos...always there to support, protect, and love each other: Gabriel, Maya, Grady, & Dominic

Please continue to remember Dom & Steph in your prayers as they endure the new lessons, new challenges, new frustrations, and new blessings that they encounter each day.

1 comment:

Carly said...

So precious!!!! I miss you all soooo much...this makes me want to be there!