5.21.2009

Thankful Thursday

WARNING: EXTRA LONG POST (I'M NOT EVEN SURE WHERE I'M HEADED WITH THIS POST, BUT I NEED TO VENT SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY.)

What a big day for Gabriel! He had a fantastic birthday filled with lots and lots of clothes, toys, cake, ice cream, family and love.

And as for me, well, I'll just say I've been holding back the tears all day long. One of those days where any little thing makes me want to just sit down, throw my hands in the air, and cry. My baby is a year old; and while it's certainly a happy occasion, it's also been a little sad and a big eye-opener, realizing just how fast the days pass by...at least for mama.

*BIG SIGH*

Today I'm thankful for the very person who completes me; my total strength when I am weak; my rescuer from mean people and unwanted thoughts; my avenue of fresh air and ventilation when the world weighs a ton and smothers me to tears; my very best friend and companion, I'm thankful today for Sam.

This has been a really hard day for me. No matter how hard I've tried to just be happy and celebrate, I've had to try even harder to keep the water works from flowing. It didn't matter that I had a dentist appointment to distract me. It didn't matter that I had a great time running errands with my aunt. It didn't matter that I spent the day with my precious babies. My heart was just heavy and my mood was sharp.

Gabriel's party was wonderful. Dinner was delicious, and the cake was amazing. We even had an end-of-the-evening-surprise announcement that my cousin, Katie, is expecting her first little bundle of sweetness who is due in December. But for some reason, none of that was able to cut through the feeling of sadness I've carried with me all day long...and the closing remarks of the evening certainly didn't help.

I'm continuously amazed at the lessons I learn about this so-called social structure called a "family." And I must admit that it tears me up every single time I see actions or hear words from my "family" that are anything less than encouraging, uplifting, and supportive. I mean, really, that's what "family" is for, right? I'm learning that's not the case. I'm learning, the hard way, that "family" isn't always there for you...and they certainly don't treat everyone...nevermind. I can't go there right now, or I'll get ugly.

Sam, on the other hand, has never, ever hurt me. He has never raised his voice. He has made a conscious effort to always be encouraging, uplifting, and supportive. And, he never complains when I don't take a spare second to just stop and smell the roses while I vent about family gatherings. :)

So, I'm deciding to follow suit with my favorite co-blogger, Carly. Two days ago, on May 19, unbeknownst to many, Sam turned 32! Here are 32 reasons why I love my best friend:
  1. For loving me even when I am unlovable.
  2. For never making me get up at night to make a bottle or change a diaper.
  3. For letting me take Sunday naps!
  4. For working from sun up 'til sun down, and every minute in between.
  5. For spoiling me on a regular basis with awesome gifts when I very least expect it.
  6. For never once making me touch a toilet brush.
  7. For cleaning, doing laundry, taking out the trash, and making the bed.
  8. For my 2 beautiful babies.
  9. For taking care of me when I can't take care of myself.
  10. For loving Jesus with all his heart, soul, mind, and strength.
  11. For being someone I can have fun with.
  12. For watching chick flicks with me.
  13. For calling me every single day, even when I'm short and curt with him on the phone.
  14. For scrambling through my purse to find medicine when I'm having a panic attack.
  15. For waiting up for me even when it's late and he's super tired.
  16. For telling me I'm beautiful.
  17. For cuddling on the couch.
  18. For cooking supper.
  19. For the best French toast & meatballs in the world!
  20. For being perfectionist when I only strive to meet the requirement.
  21. For 2-hour massages any time I have a migraine--or just because I ask for it.
  22. For always putting his wife and children above everything else.
  23. For playing outside with Maya.
  24. For putting up with my family when they are less than likable--and sticking around when it would be easier to just walk away.
  25. For playing his guitar and singing to me even though I laugh.
  26. For talking in secret code with me.
  27. For over-dressing pretty much everywhere we go.
  28. For cutting his hair the way EYE love it.
  29. For controlling his temper and never raising his voice.
  30. For keeping out thermostat on 60!!!
  31. For encouraging me to be the best I can be.
  32. For looking beyond my pretenses, my annoying habits, and loving me just the way I am.

ilysaicwfytrt!! ;)

Big, cryful love & hugs,

Sarah

2 comments:

The Great One said...

I am so happy that you finally made the list. thank you for being there for me and giving me what I need.

Carly said...

This was nice!!! Miss you!